Everything your garden or landscape needs can be found in our Gardening Supply Department… fertilizers, sprays, gardening and watering tools, seeds, and much more. At our Diagnostics Counter, our experts can identify mystery plants, solve insect and disease dilemmas, and answer your turf and seeding questions. We also provide extensive soil testing as well as informational brochures and handouts.
Our Selection Includes
- Bird supplies including houses, feeders and seed
- Fertilizers for both lawn and garden with a large selection of organic products
- Large selection of high quality grass seed
- The finest selection of cutting, hand and long handled gardening tools
- Gardening books
- Watering supplies including sprinklers, nozzles and drip irrigation
Few gardening pursuits are as rewarding as growing your own plants from seed.
Here at Homestead gardens we have everything you need to be successful including:
|seed starting soil||peat pots|
|easy grow greenhouses||plant labels|
|heat lamps/grow lights||& much more!|
Our seeds are from a variety seed companies including heirloom varieties from Seed Savers Inc., organic vegetable seeds from Botanical Interest and everyday classics from Lake Valley Seeds.
No one has a broader variety of seeds to offer so come on in and start your garden right. Our knowledgeable sales staff can assist you in choosing the products that are right for you!
Winter is for the Birds!
Our Garden Supply department is fully stocked with all the necessities to successfully attract and feed birds of many varieties!
In our area, winter can be a difficult time for birds. The days are short, and nights are often cold and long. The natural food supply has been consumed and water may be hard to find. In addition, finding shelter becomes more difficult and birds may seek man made houses or habitats that can provide refuge from winter temperatures and weather.
Winter Birding Tips
FOOD…During this season, birders should change out the type of food in their feeders and provide high calorie/high fat food to elevate metabolism and keep the birds warm.
- Feeders should be located out of the wind and positioned near cover but in the open to allow birds to watch for danger.
- Offer supplemental food when natural food sources begin to be depleted.
- Oil sunflower is a great overall seed to offer in the winter. Oil sunflower has twice the calories per pound than striped sunflower and its smaller shells make less mess when discarded by the birds!
- Suet is another great choice–its high energy, pure fat substance is invaluable when insects are harder to find.
WATER…Birds still need a source for water in the winter! You can help by providing an open source of water for them.
- Bird baths can be heated to help prevent the whole bath from freezing.
- It’s a good idea to cover ceramic bird baths to keep the water out in the winter–if you don’t have a bath with built-in heater, put out a plastic dish with an added heater.
- Check with our Garden Supply staff for recommendations on the right type of heater for your birdbath.
SHELTER…As shelter becomes harder to come by, you can do a lot to help get our feathered friends through the season. Roosting places aid birds seeking cover from the elements as well as protection from natural predators and cats!
- Evergreen trees and shrubs can act as shelter for the birds, however roosting houses are the safest source of protection during winter storms.
- Remember to clean out old nests from houses to help reduce the possibility of parasitic bugs surviving the winter.